In Chapters 14-15 John Perkins dives into the challenging and sometimes divisive work of community organizing, helping those in the community who had been oppressed find means of self-expression. As we’ve seen several times so far in LJRD, many in the church didn’t understand the need for this type of work, even considering it outside the scope of the Gospel. Perkins, however, holds empowerment and the Gospel as complementary, even mutually-necessary, ideas.
This quote caught my attention:
“In situations of inequality or oppression, the oppressed group must take a stand somewhere, sometime. For until the people take that stand, there is no development possible for them. Yet when they take that stand in the face of clear injustice, an oppressed people are once again humanized. And they then become capable of a level of development – spiritual, economic, social or other – not psychologically possible for a people still in a passive, dependent state” (120).
Unless people grasp their own ability to effect change on their own situation, they’ll remain helpless. Effective community development helps people access the ability to take charge of their own change. A few years after LJRD, Perkins wrote in Beyond Charity:
“To believe in indigenous leadership development is to believe in the inherent dignity of the people who need developing. If you don’t believe that they can eventually lead themselves then you must believe that they are somehow inferior to you. This type of attitude manifests itself in relationships that are patronizing, self-gratifying, and dependent” (Beyond Charity, 73).
One more idea from Paulo Freire, the guy who gave us the “Praxis” idea for which this blog is named:
“Authentic liberation – the process of humanization – is not another deposit to be made in men. Liberation is a praxis: the action and reflection of men and women upon their world in order to transform it” (Pedagogy of the Oppressed, 79).
In summary, it’s important for community developers to equip the people around them to act in ways that bring positive change. Without the ability to choose for themselves, take their own responsibility and lead, people remain oppressed and little of value results.
Now I’ll ask you questions, including one that focuses on me as your advisor:
What contributes to effective community empowerment? What disempowers communities or individuals?
How have you witnessed empowerment or disempowerment?
What will make this year an opportunity for empowerment and growth for you? What support or freedom do you need from me and JPC staff?
How will you let me know when to suggest and when to set you free? (This is me saying in advance that I want to work with you, not over you…)
I believe community empowerment can only be effective when the group is on board with the projected goals and they must believe in the process. Confidence is key. I also think it is important for development to be closely monitored so that successes can be celebrated-even if they are small. John Perkins says on pages 114-115, the group of blacks who worked hard towards the election felt a heightened sense of self-worth. When advancements are gained, they must be recognized to continue the movement. Perkins made reference to the necessary combination of money as well as community involvement. The combination is necessary because, when separated, neither component will do much good. I think efforts for development are often well-intended, but they can also be overpowering. On a much smaller scale than Perkins' experiences, I witnessed a little of both empowerment and disempowerment on my SPRINT trip to Indonesia last summer. On each 'island stay,' the (mostly) western visitors brought supplies to perform a work project. Most of the time, native Indonesians stood around and watched the westerners perform the entire project. Even though we were showing people valuable skills, I felt like the service could have been more effective if everybody would have been participating.
ReplyDeleteThis year will be one of empowerment and growth if all ideas are heard. When everybody voices their ideas, the entire group can then collaborate to choose certain components of the most favorable ones. Obviously this will need to be done with respect to time...it will be impossible to hear every single person's idea on every single decision that needs to be made. When new projects are being initiated, guidance and suggestions are helpful. There is nothing more frustrating that making a blind attempt at something because it feels as if the efforts aimless. I am most productive when I have a good idea about what I am hoping to accomplishment. It might be helpful if the JPC staff checks in periodically to ask if we feel confident in what we are doing. If/when there are projects that seem to be wandering aimlessly, I would appreciate the JPC staff to respectfully guide the student leaders to consider their paths. Sometimes its more effective to learn lessons through personal experience rather than being told what to do, but like Owen said, a delicate balance is needed.
Owen,I think you should feel free to suggest because that is part of hearing all the options, but I would ask that you allow us to brainstorm before you steal the spotlight. :) Unless you see something seriously wrong with the ideas, set us free to give it a whirl. This is a difficult question to answer before the groups have started officially working together, but I will definietly keep it in mind and let you know more as I have thought more about it.
This year I will definitely be looking for support and guidance in my role as a leader. I think it would be very helpful to simply discuss what I am doing at Mary's Place with you, Owen, and with the rest of UI core. I'm sure that hearing what others do at their sites will give me ideas, and that the other core members will be able to give me an idea of where to further my efforts to serve.
ReplyDeleteI really like Chrissy's (Anonymous) thoughts about celebrating accomplishments and being intentional about pointing out how collaborative efforts worked. We need to remember to listen to everyone's voice and create an environment where everyone knows they can speak.
ReplyDeleteI saw this most vividly last Spring when Emily Brown spoke up to bring forward a new solution to a team placement problem that nobody else had considered. We'd already come to a decision, but she boldly shared her thought and saved a trip for a SPRINTer. Let's make our team's places where voice like that is accepted, even expected.
I think what fuels community empowerment is a general sense among a group that it is possible to effect change. Without this sense of possibility there is really no motivation to work towards the betterment of a community or the condition of a people group. In order to cultivate this sense it is important that forums exist where people can discover their mutual dissatifactions and qualms as well as their passions and skills. Whether this is through church meetings, book clubs, city hall meetings, online blogs, etc. I don't know, but I know that it is only possible to make positive sustainable change when you are working in collaboration with other people.
ReplyDeleteI think what disempowers communities and individuals most of the time are the inequalities that naturally exist in our world. Economic disparity, political opression, prejudice, bad living conditions, etc. are all things that cause people to "give up" on life and surrender their voice, because they are too weary to do anything else.
The example I have is one that I didn't experience first hand, but that some of my co-interns have gotten the opportunity to witness through their work with Rwanda Partners. Rwanda Partners is an organization that seeks to not only foster reconciliation among the different ethnic groups in the country of Rwanda, but to empower women to seek a better future for themselves and their families by teaching them marketable skills that will keep them employed. What is empowering about this is that RWP is teaching skills to women that they will have for a lifetime. The women do not have to feel like they are a white man's charity case, because they are earning an honest wage for their hard work.
I think just simply being challenged by the demands of a leadership role and what it takes to make a ministry successful on a college campus will be an opportunity for growth. I think being able to form relationships with eachother and also with people the people we will serve at the various organizations we partner with will be an invitation to experience empowerment. To know that our efforts as individuals and as a collective group do MATTER and do make a difference will be an invaluable realization.
I think the only way to let someone know that they need to back off or stop micro-managing is to tell them directly, but I highly that will be a problem in your case Owen. You seem like a genuine guy and any advice or helpful guidelines you might have for this year's staff will probably be much appreciated.
I really like what everyone has said already :)
ReplyDeleteEmpowerment is central to Jesus' basic ministry model. He took 12 guys who had no idea what they were getting themselves into showed them the way and then sent them out to do "even greater things than these." Now, Owen, you certainly are not Jesus but you definitely have experience and can guide us in the year ahead. Not telling us every turn to take but pointing us in the general direction and being there to talk things through with at crucial turning points.
Thanks for noticing, Scott! (No, I'm not Jesus...)
ReplyDeleteThe common theme I'm noticing here is that my role involves offering suggestions, some expertise and past experience, while not dictating each step of your path.
It's also important to note that you bring stuff to thi role that I don't possess - hands-on experience in your particular ministry, your own life experience, academic studies,expertise in recruting, inspiring and relating to your peers, etc.
When we bring all that together, super things happen! So good...