Hi Friends!
Welcome to the JPC Summer Reading Blog - a tool I hope we'll use to build relationships and plans for next year as we read together through John Perkins' Let Justice Roll Down. I'll start reading and reflecting next week - I hope you'll join the conversation.
Summer is my time to read a lot, and this week I'm looking at Paulo Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed. There's a lot in the book, but one big idea that jumped out at me the other day was the idea of Praxis - the interaction of reflection and action. Without action, our talking is just talk; without reflection, our action is just activism. When reflection and action come together, praxis, among a bunch of other great things, happens. It's vital that we do something, while at the same time thinking carefully about waht we're doing and why.
I hope our conversations about Let Justice Roll Down will be a point for praxis. As you begin to think about the year ahead: leadership, service, action ... let's also think about what we're doing, how we're doing it, and what we're learning as we go.
We'll get into the discussion of Let Justice Roll Down next week. For now, here's an easy question - post your thoughts!
What are you most excited for this summer? What are you least excited about?
Thanks.
Owen.
I'm most excited to get caught up on my reading list and become certified as a Minnesota Naturalist through a series of classes and projects. I'm not as excited to take an online statistics course before fall quarter. I love summer though and there are many more positives than negatives!
ReplyDeleteI'm excited for adventures with old friends! I've already been to a beach party, played board games, played frisbee, gone to the zoo, and I have many more adventures already planned. I'm least excited for not seeing a lot of SPU people; I miss my friends.
ReplyDeleteJaniess and I are planning a road trip this summer around Blackboard's annual conference in Las Vegas. (back story: my wife, Janiess, runs Blackboard at SPU)
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to the trip, but I'm not super-excited for four days in Vegas. I'll see if I can some non-gambling adventures to occupy my time...
I'm excited to start my job as a nursing assistant at a retirement home! I will have to echo Scott with being least excited for not being able to see SPU friends who live far away.
ReplyDeleteI'm most excited about hanging out with friends and family. Being in California, I am least excited about the summer heat.
ReplyDelete